Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Two Jobs

http://31.media.tumblr.com/062a3aa28fcb62c3df79838afdae74ab/tumblr_mzjecjYwYX1rkdafao1_500.jpg

Writing, while it is my passion, it is also something that doesn't always come naturally. It's not something I do on a daily basis, although I know I should. There are days when characters just don't speak to me, I can't see the errors I should during the editing process, it's a job and like any job sometimes I just need a break.

But the amazing part of this job is that inspiration can literally come from anywhere. I'll think of something to drive a plot forward while I'm washing my hair. I'll read a word or phrase in a book, an article, on Facebook that kicks my brain into gear. I think the most influential aspect of my process though is sound, music in particular because it influences my own feelings/emotions.

I don't care how long it takes. I'll listen to a particular song a dozen times or more in an effort to capture the right feel of a scene, to make everything work as well as it should. Because when writing can make a reader feel emotional that's when you know it's good.

So if I can make even one person feel awkward, uncomfortable, pain, sadness, joy, excitement or anything at all then I know I'm doing my job right and doing it well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment