Tuesday, January 6, 2015

2015 Update


                An Update from the Fallon Household!

                This past Friday, January 2, Mama Fallon started her treatments at Memorial Sloane-Kettering. This process will last approximately six weeks not finishing until well into February. The first round of treatment went well, but it was a long, loong day! That being said my mom’s brothers used Christmas as a way to help her prepare for long days ahead, loading her up with DVDs to watch and even a portable player!

                This is all very good since her latest television fix has been watching Breaking Bad. I know! The irony that she picks now to start watching this particular show, with Walter White’s particular affliction, is not lost on me. But my parents both seem to love ending their day with a few episodes and pretty soon they’ll be all caught up. Thankfully I have gifted my father with season 1 of The Blacklist! One of my favorite shows, so fingers crossed they move onto that next.

                Although I’m pretty sure all the DVDs in the world pale in comparison to Cards Against Humanity. I really truly believe in that if you don’t laugh you’ll cry.

                However, when playing Cards Against Humanity sometimes you will laugh UNTIL you cry. There’s nothing quite like getting a group together to play this particularly irreverent, adult version of Apples-to-Apples will have you in a perpetual state of giggles. It did not surprise me at all to come home from work one Sunday evening to find my parents, my siblings and the Yergers seated around the dining room table immersed in an intense game. Believe me I don’t know that every kid would willingly play Cards Against Humanity with their parents, let alone throw their parents’ friends in the mix, but this particular group finding enjoyment was not at all a shock to me. And this game could have gone on for hours! Probably even had been going on for hours prior to my arrival home.

                So with the arrival of 2015 we’re starting it off going strong, we’re keeping spirits up and fighting this thing with everything we’ve got. The next few weeks are going to be rocky, it’s got to get worse before it gets better, but it will get better! We’re in the realm of making the best of things though and if nothing else this hiccup has shown us how amazing all of our family and friends are, we grow closer as a family unit and support each other. Things might be rough now but they won’t always be.

                After all when life hands you lemons, make limoncello!

No comments:

Post a Comment