Tuesday, September 30, 2014

Banned Books Week (September 21-27)

BannedBooksWeek.org

Banned Books Week has officially come to close, but I've spent some time reading through the website and seeing which books have made the list in recent years. Why were they challenged? What makes them so terrible that they must be censored?

Here's A Few:

1. The Hunger Games
2. The Perks of Being a Wallflower
3. The Glass Castle
4. The Captain Underpants Series
5. The Catcher in the Rye
6. The Harry Potter Series

.......... I mean the list goes on and on! Now I don't know about you guys but some of the books that make the cut on this list were some of my favorite books from childhood and adulthood! They're banned for reasons citing offensive language, sexuality, violence, unsuited to the age group, religious viewpoint, etc.

Now not every book is for every person, not every genre is suited for every reader and that's okay. But this censorship I have simply never understood. I've seen a number of Banned Books lists that include books such as the Bible, Anne Frank's Diary, and so many others that just blew my mind!

So I proudly read Banned Books!

Because I will not let someone that's sensitive dictate my literary choices, or any choices I make.

No comments:

Post a Comment